Chappiquiddic History

Chippanooonk (a tribe)


or Martha's Vineyard

  We are the First People to inhabit the area of Chappiquiddic(Chippi-ahquedne) on the island Noepe (also spelled Nope) or known today as Martha's Vineyard, Ma.. We spoke an Algonquian n-dialect. English Colonial records called us the Band of Pahkepunnassoo (the Sachim in 1643) on the island of Chappaquiddick.We were also known as the Capauk (the separate people) by our Pokanoket Tribe.The Pokanoket will later be known as the Wampanoag after the "King Philip War".We were one of nine bands existing on the island. The territory of the Pokanoks covered all of southeastern Massachusetts and eastern Rhode Island ( east of Narragansett Bay) and the islands of Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, the Elisabeth Islands, and Sakonnet Point,Rhode Island, known as Pokanoket (place of the people of the bays).The Pokanoks were led by the Massasoit ( great sachim) whose name was Weesoemequin ( Yellowfeather)  and consisted of a total of twenty five bands, fourteen on the mainland, the nine on Martha's Vineyard, and two on Nantucket, each band lead by a sachim(similar to a leader or chief) or a mugquomp(similar to a captain) whose allegiance was to the Massasoit. The Massasoit appointed trusted advisors called Sagamores who represented different regions of Pokanoket territory.Those regions were Noepe ,Nantucket, Nauset, Mattakeese, Seconet, Pocasset, Sowanis, Nemassaket, Punkatest, and Sognatis.  Some of the villages and Locations were Pokanocket and Sowams(about Bristol,RI.); Aquednet(Newport,RI.); Pocasset and Quaket(Tiverton,RI. area);Saugkonnet,Cokesit(Little Compton); Shawonet(Somerset area); Mattapoiset(Swansea area); Acoaxet(Westport area); Nukkehkummees and Assameekg(Dartmouth area); Acushnet; Seipican(Marion area); Cohannet(Taunton area); Saughtuckquet(Bridgewater area); Nemassaket,Kehtehticut (Middlebourough area); Assawamset,Quittaub(Lakeville Area); Monponset(Halifax/Hanson area) Wenawkset and Winnatuxet(Plympton area); Mohootset(Carver area); Patuxet, Apaum,and Accomauk(Plymouth area); Missaukatucket and Sayoquash(Marshfield area); Sagoquas(South Cohasset area);Assanippi and Statuit(Scituate area); Manamooskeagin(Abington area); Nannumackewit(Hanover area); Namasakeeset(Duxbury area)  Mattakeset(Pembroke area);Weeweeantic,Pispogut,Apowaywans and Wawayontet(Wareham area); Manomet(about Buzzard's Bay); Comassakumkanit(Bourne/Herring Pond area); Shawme,Aqetnet,Mannamit,Kitteaumut,and Weesquob(Sandwich area);  Sacconesset,Wequammohquisset,and Waquoit(Falmouth area); Codtanmut,Massapee and Ashimuit(Mashpee area);  ,Satuit,Pawpoesit,and Coatuit(all in Barnstable area); Nobsquasset(Dennis area);Punonakanit(Wellfleet area); Matakees and Sesuet(Yarmouth area); and Nobsque at Woods Hole.  Potanumaquat,Satucket,Mamskeket(Brewster area); Monamoyik(Chatham area);Nauset,Ponanummakut(Eastham area) and Pamet(Truro area);  Sahquattuket,Potenummecut(Harwich area);  Pocket(Orleans area);Meeshawn(Provincetown). Capauk(Cape Poge and Chappaquiddick,);  Nunepauk,Sahnchecontuckquet, and Nobnocket(Edgartown area); Nashawakemuk,Seconchqut,Talhanio(Chilmark); Takemmeh,Ohkonkemme(Tisbury); Aquinnah(Gay Head area);Capoaquit(Nomans Land)on Martha's Vineyard; Madaket,Siasconset,Quays,Oggawane,Wammasquid,Squatesit,and Myacomet on Nantucket.

 We lived a simple life as hunters,gatherers,farmers and fisherman in harmony with nature. Noepe (amid the waters) and the mainland coast have been inhabited by the Pokanok/ Wampanoag for an estimated 10,000 to 13,000 years. Paleo-Indians for more than 18,000 years. With the practice of large scale burning we were able to create  large open tracts of land of fertile soil to cultivate our crops (Three sisters : corn / beans / Squash),maintain berry patches, and hunting area's . When the many European explorers arrived and sailed up and down the east coast of America they saw unforested land for miles inshore under cultivation. Noepe's Sachemdoms were Chappiquiddic( was also spelled Chaubaqueduck,Chabbequiddick,Chappequiddic,Chappaquiddic,and today Chappaquiddick) which included Natuck(also known as Capoag) and Muskeget Islands. Nunnepoag (Edgartown area also spelled Nunepog or Nunpauk) governed by Sachem Tewanticut.Under his leadership were two lesser sachemships ,at Sahnchecontuckquet(Known today as East Chop and Oak Bluff) was the Band of Sub-Sachem Autumsquin and then his son  Wampamag. Nobnocket(known today as West Chop and Vineyard Haven) was the Band of Sub-Sachem Cheesehahchamuk ).  Nashanekammuck ( southern Chilmark)was the Band of Sachem Wassulon) and Seconchqut (north shore of Chilmark -Band of Sachem Toohtoowee).  Ohkonkemme(the central/Eastern area of Tisbury)-Bands of Mankutquet . Okokame (western area of Tisbury/Christiantown-Band of Sachem Sossoanew and then his son-in-law Wannamanhut),and about Gay Head/ Aquinnah (-Band of Sachem Nohtooksaet).The bands of Wannamanhut(who came from Boston area) and Nohtooksaet were Massachuset Tribe who settled on the island, Wannamanhut's people joining Sossoanew's people. By moving to Noepe they now became Pokanoket/Wampanoag. 

In the year 1602:

 Bartholomew Gosnold explores Noepe and names it Martha's Vineyard.Two to Three thousand Pokanoket/Wampanoag are estimated to have been living on the island at this time. He named it Martha's Vineyard for the aboundance of grapes he found about an indian village and a family member.

In 1605

 Samuel de Champlaine explores Noepe and names it La Soupconneuse and names Cape Cod Cap Blanc.

In 1611

 The Earl of Southampton funds the voyage of Captain Edward Harlow to the New England area where he takes captive 24 natives including two from Capowak (Martha's Vineyard), they being Epanow and Coneconam.

In 1612

 The first devastating plague hits New Englands mainland native population.

In 1614

 Nicholas Hobson leads  an expedition to Capowak allowing Epanow to escape back to his people.

From 1616 to 1619

  A second plague hits New England's mainland devastating the Massachuset tribe. Nohtooksaet and Wannamanhut of sachim lineage take their people to Noepe  where Nohtooksaet settles and becomes Sachim of Gay Head and Wannamanhut settles at Takemmy under Sachim Sossoannew. He marries the Sachim's two daughters and becomes Sachim after Sossoannew's death.

In 1622 -1623

 A third plague hits New England killing a considerable number of natives on the mainland.

In 1632

 The Narragansetts wage war on the Pokanokets.

In 1633

 A smallpox epidemic kills much of the native population north of Boston.

In 1635

 War ends between the Narragansett and Pokanoket. The Isle of Capawock (Martha's Vineyard) is granted to Sir Ferdinando Gorges.

In 1641

 Thomas Mayhew is granted the right to inhabit Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and the Elizabeth Islands.

In 1642

 Thomas Mayhew Jr. and other settlers arrive on Noepe. His father had recieved a charter from the King of England for possession of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Wampamag  was a Sachim on the east end of the main island(East Chop-Oak Bluff). The English named him Mr. Sam. Wampamag grants land in exchange for gifts allowing Thomas Mayhew to establish a colony at Edgartown. The land about Edgartown was immediately divided amongst the English colonists.

In 1643

 Noepe has its first plague. The epidemics that had been plaquing the tribes of New England reached the island. At least seventy percent of the Native American population of New England is wiped out, including Noepe and Nantucket. Hiacoomes,a native of the village of Nunpaug converts to Christianity.


 Hiacoomes begins Christian preaching. Sachim Pahkapunnassoo of Chappiquiddic accepts Christianity after being struck by lightning which killed a man standing beside him as they built a fireplace at his wetu. He was vehemently against Christianity until this,even having struck Hiacoomes in the face when he preached at his village.


 Hiacoomes  converts Sachim Towanticut of Nunpaug.


  Thomas Mayhew gave a Grant of Township to "The Inhabitants of Edgartown at the Great Harbor" which declared Chappiquiddic an official part of Edgartown even though Chappiquiddic was solely inhabitted by the Pokanok/Wampanoag . The Pokanoks remained sole occupants untill 1722 . A second plague hits the native population of Noepe.


 Momonequem,son of Annomantooque of Aquinnah and whose mother was from Nunpaug accepts Christianity. He later becomes the first preacher at Nashawakemuk. He also converts the first Powwaw named Tequanomin to Christianity.  


 Forty native families practicing Christianity on Noepe.


 On January 11,1652 an indian school is established on the island.

In 1653

 An English goverment structure takes shape at Edgartown, and the town orders Thomas Mayhew to buy the land of Ogissket, and the division of the Planting Field begins in Edgartown.


 The division of the Five and Twenty Lots on the island.


 The Common Seal of Martha's Vineyard is adopted,and Thomas Mayhew is chosen Magistrate.


 Thomas Mayhew Jr. dies at sea.


 Christiantown is established for the "Praying Indians of Takemmy". Wannanauhkomun is preacher.  Cracketuxett and Chapoquecois purchased from Sachim Towaquateck. Again a division of common lands begins called " Lots on the Line" and Thomas Mayhew deeds out Nantucket Island to European settlers.

In 1660

 Proprietors draw lots at Crackatuxet in Southeastern Edgartown. Natives on Cape Cod  are deeded fifty square miles in and about Mashpee. The Nipmuck Nation becomes subjugated by the Pokanoket.

In the winter of 1661

 Massasoit Weesoemequin dies and the Mohegans make war on the Nipmuck. Massasoit's eldest son Wamsutta becomes Massasoit of the Pokanoket and thus makes war on the Mohegans since the Nipmuck are now part of the Pokanoket Nation. Wamsutta is known to the English as Alexander.

In 1662

 Wamsutta deeds rights at Gayhead to William Brenton. Wamsutta is taken prisoner by Major Josias Winslow at White Island(Halifax) on Monponset Lake and called to Plymouth under English guard to answer charges of plotting against the English and dies enroute (believed poisoned) after a meal served to him by the English in Duxbury, and his brother Metacomet becomes Massasoit of the Pokanoket . He is called King Phillip by the English.


 War breaks out between the Pokanoket and the Mohawks. Chappiquiddic Sachim Pahkepunassoo grants Natuck Island to Thomas Mayhew on June sixteenth. Natuck ( Cape Poge) still a separate island from Chappiquiddic.  About this time conflicts began to arise over land use as more settlers arrived in Edgartown. Tresspassing became prevailent on Chappiquiddic by settlers in search of wood and grazing of their sheep at Wasque. Sachim Joshua Sekinnaunt  (Pahkepunassoo's son) filed numerous lawsuits (petitions) in the English courts over this tresspassing to no avail. Jacob Sekinnaunt continued this when he became sachim on his fathers passing.

 Sachim Mittark is the first Christian and preacher at Gayhead.


 Meachemus's Field  divided in Edgartown.

In 1665

 Joel Hiacoomes (son of Hiacoomes) and Caleb Cheesechamuck are divinity students at Harvard. Joel Hiacoomes dies at sea on a return trip to Noepe before graduating, Caleb Cheesechamuck graduates. There are now five Praying Towns located on Noepe .

In 1666

 Caleb Cheesechamuck dies. English food while in college is believed to be the cause.

In 1668

 War with Mohawks ends.

In 1669

 Sachim Towanticut of Nunpaug writes his will and dies in 1670.

In 1670

 The First Indian Church is established on Noepe and at Mashpee. Hiacoomes is ordained minister at Noepe. John Tackanash becomes a teacher of Christianity at Hiacoome's church. The church splits into two churches later this year, John Tackanash and John Nohnosoo serving the east end of Martha's Vineyard Island and Hiacoomes with Tribal Elder Joshua Mamachegin on Chappiquiddic.

In 1671

 Thomas Mayhew is appointed The Lifetime Governor of The Vineyard Indians with the authority to purchase their lands by the King of England. The towns of Tisbury and Edgartown are incorporated.

In 1674

 Thomas Mayhew counts 300 native families on Noepe. Sixty families at Chappiquiddic.

In 1675

 Waban informs the English that King Phillip intends war in spring, and Plymouth's native interpreter Sassamon is found murdered under the ice in a Middleborough Lake on January 29th. The English arrest three natives loyal to Phillip and try them, convict and executed them disregarding the Treaty between Massasoit and the Pilgrims. King Phillip's War begins. Go to this link for more information.


 Capt. Benjamin Church captures the Monponset Band of Pokanoket during the summer in the Great Cedar Swamp area of Halifax. None escape. Squa Sachim Weetamoo drowns near the mouth of the Taunton River August 6 fleeing the English soldiers, King Philip is killed on August 12 at Mount Hope. King Philip's War ends with the death of Annawon. The colonists decree the Pokanoket name is outlawed and the captured natives of the western areas to be sold into slavery in Bermuda. The remaining natives take the name Wampanoag.

Christiantown preacher Wunnanauhkomun dies leaving wife and three daughters and one grandson.


 Chappiquiddic Sachim Pahkehpunnassoo was a witness to a deed on June seventh of this year.


 John Nahnosoo dies at Sahnchecontuckquet leaving wife and son.


 Assaquanhut(also known as John Shohkow),second son of Nashohkow of Takemmeh,becomes an Elder upon death of Nohnosoo. 


 Thomas Mayhew dies.


 Preacher John Tackanash dies at Nunpaug on January 22,1683, and interred the next day. Hiacoomes becomes ill and returns to main island closing church on Chappiquiddic.

 Sachim Mittark of Gay Head dies on January 20,1683.


 The division of Woodland Lots in Edgartown. 


 Janawannit, preacher at Nashawakemuk dies. He was the brother of Sachim Pamehannit.


 Sachim Joseph Mittark gives Gay Head Neck to Thomas Dongan, the Earl of Limerick.


 Mashquattuhkooit (also known as Paul)dies, he was a Deacon at Sahnchecontuckquet with Pastor Japheth.


 Another epidemic kills much of Noepe's indians.

 Panunnut (also known as William Lay) becomes a Magistrate at Nashawakemuck.

 Assaquanhut, alias John Shohkow,dies at Christiantown,a ruling elder(deacon).

 Micah Shohkow, brother of John Shohkow,a Deacon after Mashquattuhkooit's death,dies at Christiantown.


 The Elizebeth Island's become part of Chilmark.


 Sachim Joshua Seiknout of the Chappiquiddic grants Mooskeiakit  Island to Mayhew on July twentieth.


 Sasachuett gives grant to Thomas Butler on October tenth on Chappiquiddic.


 Obedyah Wahpoanett gives grant to Thomas Butler on December ninth on Chappiquiddic. A conflict arises between Samuel Athearn and indians regarding possession of land in Tisbury.


 There are 138 Christian indians at Chappiquiddic,Maumachegin is pastor, 231 at Nashawekammuck(Chilmark)of which Japhet is paster and Abel an Elder, 72 at Ohkonkemme(Tisbury)of which Stephen and Daniel are pastors, 35 at Seconchqut(Chilmark)which also Stephen and Daniel pastor, 260 at Gay Head which Abel and Elisha are pastors, 136 at  Sahnchecontuckquet whose pastor is Job Russel, and 84 at Nunnepoag  whose pastor is Joshua Tackquannash and the schoolmaster is Josiah Thomas.

Thomas Sockakonnit, among the first to convert to Christianity on the island, is named a Deacon.

 Wuttinomanomin, alias David of Gay Head, a Deacon and Magistrate at Sahnchecontuckquet, dies.

Massachusett's indian population is estimated to be 4000.


 Death of Sachim Josias Keteanomin of Takemmy, succeeded by his son Zachariah Peeskin. In Chilmark several indians become Baptists and create separate congregations, one at Noman's Land.


 A reservation is set aside in Fall River for Indians and is recognized in 1709.


 Pastor Joshua Maumachegin Dies on Chappiquiddic. Deacon Thomas Sockakonnit also dies.

 A boundary is set between Tisbury and Nashowakemuck. There are several land disputes filed by indians against European settlers on Noepe through 1705.


 Jonathan Amos Dies. He was the son of Amos of Chappiquiddic who was one of the first Christians of Chappiquiddic. Jonathan married the daughter of Michqsoo and lived for several years in Dartmouth, had eight daughters and became a Deacon at Sahnchecontuckquet when they returned to the island,replacing Deacon David. He also preached on Chappiquiddic.


 Japheth Hannit,third Pastor of Nashawakemuck dies July Twenty ninth. He was born about 1638 in Chilmark, son of Pamehannit. Pamehannit and wife buried their first five children within ten days of birth. Japheth was their sixth child and his mother made a promise to God that he would serve the Lord if his life was spared. He married the daughter of Keestumin.



 An indian reservation is established at Gay Head.


 The town of Chilmark is incorporated and annexes Nomans Land.


 Ebenezer Rogers files a tresspass suit against Hosea Manhut of Takemmy to the Superior Court of Judicature and several depositions are taken by elder natives about the history of land titles.


 Sasachumett brings a suit to the same court against Sachim Jacob Sieknout disputing his sachimship of the Chappiquiddic. Several dispositions are taken establishing the histories of both parties families.


 An award to Benjamin Hawes (a settler) by Sachim Jacob Sekinnaunt (Sieknout ) granting him "1/8 part of all the herbage on Chappiquiddic annually from October 20th to March 25th." He was also" granted 200 head of cattle, along with the privilege to feed and mow but setting aside any salt grass growing in the award for the Chappiquiddic.


 Sachim Jacob Sekinnaunt sold and deeded Wasque to Simeon Butler,the first settler to own property on Chappiquiddic. The following year the Great Gale of 1723 closed off the east end of Pocha Pond  from the  Atlantic Ocean  thereby connecting Natuck Island (Cape Poge) to Wasque,East Beach and Wasque being the southeastern part of Chappiquiddic Island.


 Several Gay Head natives are aquitted of murdering their neighbor Moses Quanch.


 A Petition to Lt. Gov. Dummer and the General Court from John Cakquit, on behalf of the Chappiquiddic indians, regarding the abuses of their agent Simeon Butler, with the connivance of their Sachem. Cakquit asks for a new agent as well as an investigation of their grievances. The General Court orders that Butler be served a copy of the Petition and directs Enoch Coffin and John Worth to gather evidence. At the Hearing the Council recommends Butler be replaced by Coffin, The House nonconcurs and recommends that the Petition be dismissed.


 Mattakesett herring creek dug by natives and settlers. Fifteen Chappiquiddic natives are paid for this labor.


 Another smallpox epedemic among Noepe natives.


 A Christiantown native named Isreal Amos married to a Gay Header records a deed purported to convey "one quarter of the Gay Head"to his great grandfather in 1675 and files a lawsuit against the proprietors for these rights.


 Pain Mayhew sues the Proprietors of Gay Head in a Plea of Abatement.

1744-50  Elisha Amos of Christiantown aquires land at Christaintown and at Roaring Brook in Chilmark.


 The Gay Head submitt a Petition to the court.


 Guardians are appointed for Gay Head.


 The Gay Head submit another Petition complaining about the abuses of the Guardians.


 The Gay Head submit another Petition regarding the Guardians activities.

1750-57  Elisha Amos aquires land rights from various natives at Gay Head.


 The Gay Head submit another Petition.


 The Guardians accounts are ordered to be examined from 1748 to 1754. Experience Mayhew compiles a list of disbursments to the native poor on the Vineyard.


 Chappiquiddic and Gay Head submit Petitions, twenty five Chappiquiddic ask the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel to build a church. English settlers Matthew Mayhew, John Norton, and John Sumner are appointed Guardians of the Martha's Vineyard Indians by the Province of Massachusetts Bay.


 Chappiquiddic ( Pelix Wani) petition to build a church on January twenty second. Land purchases of white settlers in Christiantown after 1699 are declared null and void.


 Gay Head proprietors award the Reverend Zachariah Howwaswee with "the run of one hundred sheep" for successfully defending them against Isreal Amos's land lawsuit . The British gvernment issues a proclamation forbidding the private purchase of indian land. The District of Mashpee is incorporated.  Another epedemic hits Noepe and Nantucket thought to be smallpox and kills most indians on Nantucket and many on Noepe.


 There are 313 natives surviving on Noepe.  86 at Edgartown/Chappiquiddic, 39 in Tisbury, and 188 in Chilmark/Gay Head.


 Chappiquiddic's (Peter Tuppohhus,Patience Ekill,Zachariah Hoswit,Jerusha Jeffrey,Joel Joel,John Joel,Samson Kokane,Benjamin Moses, Benjamin Natak,James Robbins )petition the Massachusetts General Court on January twenty eighth that the English have trespassed on their land, that English cattle ruined their pastureland and cornfields,and that their firewood was taken.


 Chappiquiddic and Gay Head file Petitions to Gov. Bernard and The General Court on November sixteenth. Chappiquiddic's (Ruth Wannai,Job Wannai,Belick Simon,Bethiah Dach,Patience Dach,Patience Ekill,Zachariah Hoswit,Sari Jethro,Benikiah Joel,Joel Joel,John Joel,John Joel Jr.,George Johnson,George Johnson Jr., Jerushshae Kondeye,Ebenezer Kottoode,Mark Kottoode,Benaiah Moses,Benjamin Natak,Benjamin Natak Jr.,James Robbins) subscibe to a reply to settler John Norton's petition as to property rights on November eleventh and twentieth. The Chappiquiddic were concerned that purchases by the English which an earlier General Court deemed illegal, would be confirmed and allowed by the present Court. The petition included the claim of the Chappiquiddic that the lands awarded to them by the General Court remain in their possession.

 Chappiquiddic Petition Gov. Bernard and The General Court on November twentieth complaining of the English tresspassing,cutting firewood and destroying pastureland with English cattle on Chappiquiddic lands. No action taken on either petition by the General Court.


 Chappiquiddic submit Petition on May twenty seventh to Gov. Bernard and The General Court asking the Court to prevent the continual land encroachment by English settlers and the destruction of crops by English cattle and wood being stolen. No action taken by the General Court.


 Chappiquiddic file another Petition.


 Eighteen Chappiquiddic submit Petition to King of England regarding encroachment.


 Chappiquiddic submit another Petition ( James Womsbly,James Robbins,Benaiah Moses,John Joel,Isaac Joel,John Joel Jr.,Ben Edick) onMay fourth to Gov. Hutchinson and The General Court regarding encroachment,cattle destruction,taking of firewood,and for the enforcement of the law against English tresspassers on May fourth. No action taken by The General Court.

 On June twenty ninth a Report from The General Court Committee appointed to consider a Petition from John Pease and other Settlers regarding land disputes on Chappaquiddick found that land made by the English to be illegal and recommended the the formation of a committee to consider compensation for the indians of the island. The General Court accepts the Report and appoints a committee to consider the compensation due the indians.


 Gay Head petition to have Elisha Amos's former deeds revoked and the estate returned to the proprietors.


 British General Charles Grey raids Noepe during the American Revolutionary War.Removes food stores,cattle and sheep for British army.


 Gay head submits petition


 Twelve male Chappiquiddic submit petition, and again in 1783.


 Gay head submit petition


 Massachusett Legislature repeals self government of Mashpee and appoints Guardians.


 Massachusett Legislature passes act granting all improved land on the west side of Chappiquiddic be set off and confirmed to said indians during their natural lives and no longer.


 Gay Head submit petition 


 Chappiquiddic native population at 75 people. Gay Head indian census taken and includes blood percentages, and heads of household.


 Twelve male Chappiquiddic petition, it does not pass through Legistlature.


 Ten male and female Chappiquiddic petition.


 The Federal Census of indians taken of Martha's Vineyard by town. It list thirty two families at Edgartown,Chilmark, and Tisbury under the classifacation " free colored" but are indian descendants.


 Gay Head petition.


 Christiantown petition resulting in an act protecting them at Christaintown.


 Chappiquiddic and Christiantown submit petitions. The State passes an act protecting Christiantown indians and their property. Chappiquiddic petition signed by ten male and female proprietors.


 Sixteen male and female Chappiquiddic submit petition. Reservation contains about eight hundred acres. Population about sixty five living in two wetus and ten framed houses.


 Sanchakantucket submit petition.


 The Chappiquiddic submit several petitions from now till 1812. Population now eighty two. The 1809 Massachusett Act,Chapter 70, contains two 1809 Chappiquiddic Petitions as well as the 1791 petition and 1801 Guardian Accounts.


 The Massachusett Act 1810,Chapter69; Massachusett Resolves 1810,Chapter 107; and Senate Unpassed Legislation #4093 lists five petitions signed by fifty male and female Chappiquiddic (including minors) representing two rival factions.  Chappiquiddic land is divided amongst native community. A Federal Census of indians residing on Martha's Vineyard is taken, again listing Native Americans as "free colored" . Ebenezer Skiff successfully defends Gay Head indians  against a white man who claimed a valuable part of Gay Head.


 Several Gay Head of pure blood submit petition complaining of incursion by mixed blood, rebutted by other inhabitants.

1814-15   Gay Head submit two petitions.


 Christiantown submit petition


 Fourteen male and female Chappiquiddic, and Christiantowners submit Petitions.


 Christiantown submits petition. Federal Census again lists Native Americans as "free colored". There is a list of twenty seven Chappiquiddic students by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel.


 Chappiquiddic population now ninety one. Reverend Zachariah Howwoswee of Gay Head dies.


 Martha's Vineyard Indian Census done by Frederick Baylies, and sent to the Reverend James Freeman of Boston. Chappiquiddic population one hundred.


 Forteen male and female Chappiquiddic submit petition.


 Fifteen male and female Chappiquiddic submit a Petition. Chappiquiddic population one hunderd one. Massachusetts House of Representatives issues report on Gay Head Indians, passing a resolve to build a church and school,recommends indians to hold and sell land individually and only to other tribal members.   Christiantown submits a petition.


 Chappiquiddic land division records at the Dukes County Registry of Deeds  gives names in each family, population at one hundred ten.


 Twenty seven male and female Chappiquiddic (including minors) submit petition.


 Gay Head submit petition


 Gay Head submit petition


 Gay Head submit petition and goes unpassed.


 Gay Head submit petition and goes unpassed.


 The Bird Commission takes a complete census of the indian communities in Massachusetts, including names and ages of all members. Known as Briggs Report of 1849. Chappiquiddic population at seventy five.
 Massachusett House Bill 48H101 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 Chappiquiddic holds 692 acres of barren land, Christiantown holds 390 acres, and Gay Head holds 2400 acres .


 Massachusett Senate Bill 51S109 concerning Chappiqiddic and Christiantown.


 Chappiquiddic submit petition


 A Report of the Commissioners to the Legistrature to determine the title of land claims at Deep Bottom in Tisbury under the Resolve of May 17 1855.
 Massachusett House Bills 56H100 and 56H126 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 Massachusett House Bill 57H104 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 The Earle Report by the Earle Commission on the state of Massachusetts indians is given to the Governor and Council.


 The Federal Census includes Chappiquiddic households.


 The 1861 Report on the Indians of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to the Senate by John M. Earle is released. At Chappiquiddic there are seventy four people, consisting of seventeen families, thirty six men, thirty eight women, and seven foreigners.


 A census of Chappiquiddic giving names and ages  are recorded in the Dukes County Land Records.
 Massachusett House Bill 62H151 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 Massachusett House Bill 63H111 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 Massachusett House Bills 64H105, 64H125, 64H166 concrning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.


 The Massachusetts Census lists most of the Chappiquiddic living in Edgartown.


 Massachusett House Bill 69H490 concerning Chappiquiddic and Christiantown.
 The Massachusetts Legistlature disenfranchises indians and makes them citizens of the state, abolishing reservations.


 The Federal Census lists all indian households at Edgartown,Tisbury, and Gay Head.


 Gay Head land titles are examined by R.L. Pease and the Town of Gay Head is incorporated.


 Federal Census lists indian households on Martha's Vineyard


Christiantown is deserted due to another smallpox epedemic.


Federal census shows native population on Chappaquiddick island at seven. Majority of tribe have moved to mainland due to high cost of farming and land values,and lack of work available on the island to pay land taxes.

© All Rights Reserved

Sampsons Hill